Thursday, June 23, 2011

Born To Run

    This is a slight digression from the general theme of previous posts, but I thought a bit of a change would be good! And what better way to digress than onto another topic I am passionate about, endurance!



    The book 'Born To Run' by Christopher McDougall, gave me renewed hope of what can be achieved if you want it badly enough. Having some experience in pushing my body to the 'limit', the question I always ask myself is this, "Is my body actually made to do this?". Did God create us to run long distances repeatedly, or is it, as my physio says, 'just crazy'?

    That's where this book comes in. The author makes a compelling argument for why we were in fact born to run. His research looks at how the human body is made up and how we have everything necessary for running long distances, often. Of course, some may argue that the epidemic of running injuries makes a clear statement to the contrary. However, on closer inspection of the source of most of these injuries (which weren't around 50 years ago) it comes down to our over-reliance on compensation footwear (Thicker soles, arches, pronations etc.) 

    You will have to read the book to get the jist of it, but the reason I bring all of this up is because of this: The book's explanations rely heavily on evolutionary theory, which I think is absolutely rubbish. I put this down to the individual evolutionist bias of the researchers (and the author); but it highlights the most incredible truth. That God, our creator, made us to to be the pinnacle of His creation. Our bodies are made to out-live, out-think and out-run any other species on earth. He made us so far superior in our inner workings, that it is impossible to put it all down to evolution. It is purposeful, masterful design. We are His signature of true love!

    This book gave me the licence to dream further and bigger than before. Isn't that one of the primary tasks of literature, to take you to places you've never been? Anyway, here's to injury free miles ahead, whether it be on the your feet or on your bike. Free your mind through the sweat and the mud and pay attention to the details of your machine (or as some people call it, your body) you will look squarely into Him!

1 comments:

Post a Comment