Thursday, January 27, 2011

Love, Life and Ministry # 1

Picture Courtesy of Lea vd Heever
"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing." - 1 Corinthians 13:1-3 (NKJV)

The above scripture puts into context what the motivating factor in our lives should be. The motivation for interacting with people, ministry, doing good deeds and sacrificing yourself for a cause: should all be motivated by love. So often we do good things with questionable motives, we start off with the right intentions, but end up trying to draw attention to ourselves, or at least, away from God.

You see, when you do anything out of love, it is a direct reflection of the Father Himself, because God is love (1John 4:8). We often claim to have Jesus as our first love, but do our fruits portray this? I am not out to condemn anyone, but let's be honest, if more Christians had a revelation of how much God loves them, then they would be able to give that very same love away, to a world that is in such desperate need of it! Jesus said, that it is by this (love) that all men will know that you are my disciples, that you "have love for one another" (John 13:35)

Friends, if you don't yet experience or even have a knowledge of the love that God has for you, then how will you ever be able to share His love? The greatest revelation that any believer may ever get in their walk with God is how much He loves you. It will revolutionize the way you go about doing life and ministry, because it is no longer an aimless pursuit from one religious deed to the next, in fact it becomes a pursuit of more love, which is more God, to be able to give more of it away!

This post has, hopefully, whet your appetite to find out more about how much God loves you and that it is not just a cliched phrase that Christians have killed over the years. Rather, it is a tangible reality of the security in knowing that there is nothing we can do to make God love us more or less, when we are in Him. The following posts will expand further and go deeper into what the bible says about God's love for the world and how we can tap into it and be part of it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment